UNC Charlotte is committed to its mission of teaching, research, and service. As such it is the University’s goal to minimize planned interruptions of class time by non-academic events and to plan for unanticipated interruptions to the delivery of education and services. The following procedure is intended to guide faculty, departments, and colleges when schedule interruptions occur.
II. Procedure Statement
Both planned and unplanned events may prevent classes and labs from meeting at their usual time and location. These schedule interruptions may include adverse weather, weekday (Monday-Friday) football games, New Student Convocation, or other situations announced through University communications. Faculty are expected to review class attendance policies with students early in the term, and should exercise good judgement in applying attendance policies during schedule interruptions, recognizing that some may be unanticipated. For example, adverse weather events may prevent some students from attending class even when campus is open and classes are in session.
To maintain course continuity, make progress in course content, and meet the state and federal credit hour requirements, faculty may elect to use one or more of the following strategies based on a faculty member’s judgment of how to best meet the students’ needs:
- Prepare to hold class online using the learning management system. Support is available from the Center for Teaching and Learning and can include such options as:
- Discussion prompts
- Pre-recorded lectures posted for viewing
- Other online modules that facilitate learning
- Assign work that can be posted on the learning management system or built into a syllabus and completed outside of scheduled class meeting times, including group work and projects
- Reschedule for another day, time and location. A Saturday will be designated each semester for an optional reschedule date and will be included in the online academic calendar.
There are no definitions related to this procedure.
IV. Policy/Procedure Contact(s)
- Authority: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): n/a
- Established: April 14, 2015
- Revised: April 5, 2016 [replaced "Moodle" with "learning management system" since the University will no longer use this product]
- Revised: January 4, 2017 [added NinerReady links, plus updates to include adverse weather and emergency events]
VI. Related Policies, Procedures, and Resources
- Teaching During Schedule Interruptions
- UNC Charlotte Academic Policy: Academic Credit
- UNC Charlotte Academic Policy: Academic Calendar
- UNC Charlotte Academic Policy: Classroom Attendance
- UNC Policy Manual 400.1.6: The University of North Carolina Academic Calendar
- University Policy 701, Adverse Weather and Emergency Events
- Center for Teaching and Learning
- NinerReady: Emergency Management
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
- See NinerReady for frequently asked questions about adverse weather and emergency events