There is no introduction for this procedure.
II. Procedure Statement
To request the consideration of a change of the name of a college, the Dean of the college initiates the following process:
- Dean of school/college sends request of name change including rationale and any pertinent information to the Provost
- The Provost writes the Faculty President requesting a consultation with the Faculty Executive Committee and Faculty Council
- Faculty Executive Committee and Faculty Council vote on proposed name change
- The Provost writes the Chancellor indicating that the consultation is complete and that the University needs to inform the UNC System Office (Office of the President). The Provost includes a draft of a letter, for the Chancellor’s signature, to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- The Chancellor sends the letter to the UNC System Office
- Upon receipt by the UNC System Office, the Provost will notify the Dean of the outcome and will announce the change on the AA listserv.
- Department makes announcement and changes on campus including effective date:
- Verify changes to the upcoming Catalog edition
- Changes to Website
- Changes to Banner:
i. Send email to Institutional Research initiating Banner request
ii. Send email to Budget Office initiating HR/FINANCE module changes
- Chancellor – The chief executive officer of UNC Charlotte. At some universities, this position is referred to as president.
- College – An academic unit of the University. Each of the seven discipline-based colleges at UNC Charlotte represents an organization of related departments.
- Dean – The highest authority within an academic division of study. An Academic Dean heads each College. In addition to the academic deans, there is also a Dean of Students within the Division of Student Affairs.
- Department – A unit within a college representing a discipline. For example, the Department of English is in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- Provost – Reporting to the Chancellor, the Provost is the chief academic officer who oversees all academic affairs activities, including research and faculty. The Deans of each College report to the Provost.
IV. Procedure Contact(s)
- Authority: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): n/a
There is no documented History for this procedure.
VI. Related Policies, Procedures, and Resources
There are no Related Policies, Procedures and Resources for this procedure.
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
Do changes in the names of schools or colleges need to be approved by the University of North Carolina Board of Governors?
No, it is no longer necessary to ask for approval from the Board of Governors for collegiate name changes. This change was made in 2006. It is only necessary to seek approval from the Board of Governors for the creation of a new school/college.