Class attendance is one of the most important factors in a student's academic success. Therefore, attendance can be used by instructors to determine part of a student's grade for a particular class.
II. Policy Statement
Each instructor determines the classroom policies (including attendance regulations) for his or her courses. In general, students are expected to attend punctually all scheduled sessions in the courses for which they are registered, to demonstrate civil behavior while in class, and to complete all of the course requirements. Instructors may outline additional and more specific standards in the course syllabus, especially when attendance is part of the grading criteria for the class. For online synchronous classes, instructors can choose to take attendance with any technology available to them. Absences from class may be excused by the instructor for such reasons as personal illness or participating as an authorized University representative in an out-of-town event. Whenever possible, students are expected to seek the permission of the instructor prior to absences. Absences for religious holidays fall under University Policy 409: Religious Accommodation for Students.
- Syllabus – A course outline typically provided on the first day of class by the instructor that describes course requirements, topics to be covered, required reading, grading criteria, faculty expectations, deadlines, exam dates, class attendance requirements, and other relevant course information.
IV. Policy Contact(s)
- Authority: Faculty Council [Faculty Academic Policy and Standards Subcommittee]
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): n/a
- Approved: January 27, 1983
- Revised: January 21, 1993
- Revised: November 10, 2010
- Revised: March 28, 2016 [language changed to include attendance as part of grading process]
VI. Related Policies, Procedures, and Resources
- University Policy 409: Religious Accommodation for Students
- UNC Charlotte Academic Procedure: Schedule Interruption Guidelines
- Academic Calendar
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
- Which students are covered under this policy?
This policy applies to all students at UNC Charlotte.