This procedure provides further detail on the selection and appointment of a Chancellor's Professor.
II. Procedure Statement
Candidates for the Chancellor's Professor Designation will be considered in accordance with the UNC Charlotte Academic Policy: Chancellor's Professor Designation. For an individual to be considered for the Designation, the following procedure should be followed:
- Any member of the UNC Charlotte faculty may nominate to the Provost a current member of the UNC Charlotte faculty holding the rank of tenured full Professor for appointment and the nomination should consist of the following:
- A letter of nomination clearly specifying the scholarly or creative interdisciplinary accomplishments at UNC Charlotte and their significance.
- A current academic curriculum vita for the nominee.
- The Provost shall seek the advice of a committee of five members, appointed by the Provost, consisting of four senior faculty members not holding administrative appointments, representing the breadth of academic programs, and an individual currently holding the rank of Chancellor's Professor, if available, who will serve as chair. Affirmative approval of at least three committee members is required for the Provost to recommend the candidate to the Chancellor. As part of the review, the committee may solicit:
- A minimum of three letters from professionals who are qualified to evaluate the interdisciplinary work of the nominee and provide an authoritative view.
- A brief biography (two-three sentences) of each of the letter writers indicated in 2.a, above.
- Supportive documentation as necessary.
- If the Provost’s decision is favorable, the Provost shall then recommend the appointment to the Chancellor.
- If the Chancellor’s decision is favorable, the Chancellor shall then recommend the appointment to the Board of Trustees.
There are no definitions related to this procedure.
IV. Policy/Procedure Contact(s)
- Authority: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): n/a
- Approved: April 25, 2013 [Faculty Council]
- Revised: December 2014 [Name change from University Professor to Chancellor's Professor approved by Board of Trustees]
VI. Related Policies, Procedures, and Resources
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the deadline for nominations for the Chancellor's Professor Designation?
Nominations for the Chancellor's Professor Designation may be sent to the Provost at any time in accordance with the procedures above.