UNC Charlotte Academic Policy and Procedure: Academic Appeal and Grievance

I. Introduction

There is no Introduction for this policy and procedure.

II. Policy and Procedure Statement

Academic appeals and grievances are generally addressed by the college where the appeal or grievance arises or, if no particular college is appropriate, by the Office of the Registrar.  Undergraduate students may appeal an academic suspension by submitting a written statement online. 

Decisions about suspension appeals are made by the chair of the department in which the student is enrolled or the dean of University College if the student’s major is undeclared.  For all other academic appeals, including recommendations of approval, undergraduate students must complete an Academic Petition.

For additional information on grievances, see “University Policy 411, "Student Grievance Procedure.

III. Definitions

  • Department – A unit within a college representing a discipline.  For example, the Department of English is in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. 
  • Major – The subject or area of study in which a student concentrates.  See the Degree Programs section of the Undergraduate Catalog for a listing of available majors.
  • Undeclared – A student who has not yet declared a major field of study; sometimes referred to as undecided.

IV. Policy Contact(s)

V. History

There is no documented History for this policy and procedure.

VI. Related Policies, Procedures and Resources

VII. Frequently Asked Questions

  • Which students are covered under this policy? 
    This policy applies to all undergraduate students at UNC Charlotte.