Degrees are approved by the Board of Governors, and as such any degree name changes must be approved by General Administration. The procedures for changing the name or degree title of an existing degree program are governed by the General Administration of the University of North Carolina under Section 400.1.1.1 Guidelines for Academic Program Development.
Procedures to change the name (major)/degree title of an existing degree program:
- The academic program/department/dean sends request to Provost, including an explanation of the reason for the proposed change
- The Provost writes the Faculty President requesting a consultation with the Faculty Executive Committee and Faculty Council
- Faculty Executive Committee and Faculty Council consult with Undergraduate Course and Curriculum Committee and/or Graduate Council as appropriate and vote on proposed name change
- The Provost sends a letter to General Administration requesting permission to change the name of the degree program
- Upon granting of permission by General Administration, notification is provided to SACSCOC
- The Provost notifies the dean of the outcome and announces the change on the AA Listserv
- Degree name change is effective the term following approval from General Administration
- The department/college makes announcement and changes on campus including:
- Verify changes to the upcoming Catalog edition
- Changes to Website
- Changes to Banner:
i. Send email to Institutional Research verifying Banner change
- Department – A unit within a college representing a discipline. For example, the Department of English is in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- Provost – Reporting to the Chancellor, the Provost is the chief academic officer who oversees all academic affairs activities, including research and faculty. The Deans of each College report to the Provost.
IV. Procedure Contact(s)
- Authority: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): n/a
- Established: November 15, 2011
- Revised: February 3, 2016 [Added SACSCOC notification into steps]
VI. Related Policies, Procedures and Resources
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
- Does changing the name of the degree automatically change the name of the department?
No. Changing the name of the department must be requested to the Provost who will undertake consultation with the Faculty under UNC Charlotte Academic Procedure: Department: Establishment, Name Change, or Relocation.
- Does this procedure apply to name changes for certificates?
Name changes to certificates only require notification to General Administration, not approval. For name changes to certificates, the academic program/department/dean should send the request to the Provost, including an explanation of the reason for the proposed change. The Provost will then send a letter of notification to General Administration.
When is the name change effective?
The degree name change is effective the term following approval from General Administration. Any student who graduates in the effective term or later will graduate under the new name.