The Bonnie E. Cone Distinguished Professorship for Teaching was created in 1992 by the trustees of UNC Charlotte upon recommendation of the Faculty Council to honor superior career achievement in teaching. In recognition of the high level of accomplishment required of individuals named as Distinguished Professors, it was decided that only five members of the University faculty may hold this title at the same time.
When established, the purpose of the program was to honor persons who had established careers at UNC Charlotte. They were to be tenured full professors, have been at UNC Charlotte for five years, and have held their current professorial rank for at least five years. There was no time limit to the professorship.
The primary commitment of UNC Charlotte to informed and effective teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level has not changed, but at this stage of maturation it seems fitting to use the fourth slot for this award to recognize a faculty member who has exhibited excellent teaching early in his or her career, and the fifth slot for this award to recognize a faculty member who has exhibited excellence in community engagement.
- 2003: Dr. Cynthia Combs, Political Science*
- 1998: Dr. James Oliver, Biology*
- 1997: Dr. Boyd Davis, English*
- 1996: Dr. Albert Maisto, Psychology
- 1995: Dr. Ganesh Mohanty, Engineering Science
- 1994: Dr. John Lincourt, Philosophy
- 1993: Dr. Miriam Leiva, Mathematics
* Indicates current recipient